University of Queensland
Doctor of Medicine (provisional entry)
Doctor of Medicine
Provisional Entry for School Leavers
Provisional entry for current school leavers provides a direct pathway to the MD, guaranteeing you a place in the medical program conditional on your meeting the following minimum entry requirements and successful completion of a bachelor degree at The University of Queensland.
- Queensland Year 12 English (or interstate equivalent)
- An adjusted ATAR 95.00 or equivalent (25%).
- Competitive overall UCAT score (25%).
- Multiple-Mini Interview (50%)
Provisional entry students are required to complete their first bachelor degree at UQ within the minimum time specified and achieve a minimum overall grade point average of 5 on a 7-point scale. Please refer to the School of Medicine’s recommended first degree information.
Provisional entry for school leavers is only available to students completing Year 12 (or equivalent) at the time of application.
Queensland Year 12 English is the only subject prerequisite required to be considered for admission to the MD (Provisional Entry for School Leavers). However, your first bachelor degree at UQ may require additional prerequisites. Please refer to the academic page of your chosen bachelor program for specific prerequisites.
Provisional Entry offer holders need to have completed two subject prerequisites or equivalent in their undergraduate program before enrolment into the MD program. View prerequisite subjects.
Once QTAC has assessed all applications, applicants are ranked by their aggregate cognitive UCAT subtest score. The UCAT ANZ section 5 (Situational Judgement) score will be used as a secondary selector to differentiate between applicants with the same UCAT ANZ aggregate. If a further selector is required, the UCAT ANZ section 1 score (Verbal Reasoning) will be used.
The minimum required score aggregate depends on the performance of applicants and available places in the MD program. This varies each year and cannot be determined in advance.
UQ offers approximately 140 Commonwealth supported places (CSP) in the MD for provisional entry for school leavers.
Direct Entry for Graduates (GAMSAT pathway)
If you have already completed a bachelor degree or equivalent, you can apply for direct entry to the MD, with applicants needing to meet the following minimum entry requirements:
- Minimum grade point average of 5 on a 7-point scale in a key degree (bachelor, honours, masters or PhD) completed in the last 10 years
- Minimum score of 50 in each section of the GAMSAT completed in the last two years.
Based on GAMSAT Average ranking and places available, eligible applicants will be invited to participate in a multiple mini interview (MMI).
Following the completion of an MMI, students will be selected for an offer to enrol in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program based on the following criteria:
- number of places available
- your final ranking based on the combined score of your MMI (50%), GAMSAT (25%) and GPA (25%).
The key degree may be undertaken in any discipline, although strong scientific knowledge is required for a better GAMSAT score and a biomedical background is recommended for this reason.
Where an applicant has also completed an approved honours program, graduate diploma, postgraduate diploma, masters or doctoral program, the most recent of these will be used as the key degree.
If an applicant’s most recent academic qualification was completed more than 10 years prior to the proposed study commencement date, it will not be accepted for assessment unless the applicant has passed the equivalent of one full-time semester (four full-time subjects) of postgraduate coursework study in the 10 years preceding the proposed commencement date.
Direct entry for graduates is only available to applicants who have completed a minimum of a three-year bachelor degree (minimum standard duration of 6 semesters of full-time study) awarded by an accredited Australian institution or overseas equivalent, or be capable of completing one before 31 December in the year of application.
Graduate Entry applicants need to complete two subject prerequisites by the end of the year before they enrol in the MD program. View prerequisite subjects.
UQ offers approximately 140 places in the MD for direct entry graduates.
QTAC applications open: August 2023
On time applications close: 30 September 2023
QTAC applications close for major offer round: December 2023
Offers released: between October 2023 and February 2024
Bachelor of Dental Science
Qualified dentists have the choice of various employment fields such as private practice. Once registered with the appropriate Dental Board, dentists can enter private practice on their own behalf. Alternatively, they may work as an assistant with an established practitioner, join a partnership or work as locum tenens. Government public health. In Queensland, there are salaried positions available in government and school dental clinics. Defence force. Graduates may enter the Navy, Army or Air Force as dental officers on short service or permanent basis.
- Year 12 or equivalent English and Chemistry (Biology also recommended)
- Domestic applicants must sit UCAT
- International applicants must sit ISAT
- Entry is competitive and test cut-offs are used for sub-selection purposes
- UCAT and ISAT cut-offs will vary each year depending upon the standard of applicants. Applicants will be selected on the basis of the aggregate score from the all five sections of the UCAT ANZ. The UCAT ANZ section 5 score (Situational Judgement) will be used as a secondary selector to differentiate between applicants with the same UCAT ANZ aggregate. If a further selector is required, the UCAT ANZ section 1 score (Verbal Reasoning) will be used
- Interviews are not part of the selection process